When I first started to get to know Lucy's personality I realized that she was going have a busy mind. She is just made of the stuff that keeps a person on their toes and perhaps a little intense. And even when she was tiny I would plot ways to introduce her to yoga, which was such a help to me during some high intensity times in my own life. She has been doing downward dog for probably close to a year and recently started adding new poses at home. But we stepped it up this month and signed up for some classes. Her most adorable friend Eliza is taking the classes as well and the two of them are funny together. They are smart and you can tell they listen to the teacher and must be aware of others but they are also bouncing on each other's mats and giggling when they "should" be still. They would be acting silly and then spontaneously strike their poses. It was cute to see that they really did get it and enjoyed the process too. It provided a pretty clear picture of her future educational experiences. Social but engaged. Lighthearted but dedicated.
Friday, January 20, 2012
Sunday, January 15, 2012
We woke up this morning to snow. What a perfect birthday festivity! We took a morning walk in the quiet snow and it was the perfect time to reflect on the amazing girl lucy is. She is passionate and interested and curious and confident and decisive. I am so lucky to get to spend my time with this wonderful girl.
I had overly ambitious plans of asking Lucy 20 of the same questions each year on her birthday. I thought I stacked my cards right and set aside time right after she was napped and fed with the promise of a cupcake to come and Mike there assisting to keep her happy and interested. But I didn't get much of an overwhelming enthusiasm from the girl. So, basically, aside from the quoted portions, this year it is my interpretation of what Lucy would say if she could sit still long enough to tell me. So here is what I did get in between her bucking like a "bug", although it looked suspiciously like a horse, and pulling books off the shelf
1. What is your favorite color? "PINK" (although we are a tiny bit perplexed over her inability to distinguish between any of the other colors)
2. What is your favorite toy? "WHITE. . . ANIMALS" (she does indeed love her stuffed animals but her favorite toy is probably her nesting doll from Russia)
3. What is your favorite fruit? "AVO. . . BABY DOLL. . . MOMMY. . . AVOCADO"
4. What is your favorite tv show? "NEMO" (I would venture to say she watches more Elmo than Nemo but its a close call)
5. What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch? "BIRTHDAY. . . I LOVE TO EAT BIRTHDAYS" (is she referring to all the frosting ingested?)
6. What is your favorite outfit? "SHIRT" (she loves her whale shirt)
7. What is your favorite game? (ring around the rosie)
8. What is your favorite snack? (rice cakes)
9. What is your favorite anima? "BUGS. I LIKE BUGS"
10. What is your favorite song? (Popcorn Popping, I hope they call me on a mission, Child of God)
11. What is your favorite book? (Olivia's Opposites, No No Yes Yes)
12. Who is your best friend? "PEOPLES" (Eliza)
13. What is your favorite cereal? (Cheerios)
14. What is your favorite thing to do outside? "PLAY OUTSIDE" (feed the ducks)
15. What is your favorite drink? (Chocolate Milk)
16. What is your favorite holiday? "BIRTHDAY"
17. What do you like to take to bed with you at night? "ANIMALS!" (and exactly three blankets)
18. What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? (cereal)
19. What do you want for dinner on your birthday? (Mac and cheese)
20. What do you want to be when you grow up? "A DRESS" (A lot of people are predicting veterinarian though)
Two has to be the perfect age for birthday celebrations. Lucy was simply over to moon to have a group of people celebrating her day. She woke up talking about her party and continued through the day to list all of her friends that were coming over. She loved tasting the cake before the guests arrived and then running to the door each time the bell rang. She has a cute set of friends and it was fun watching her play with them. I am thankful that her social network is full of such lovely families. I am thankful for a daughter that enjoys people and has a thirst for new experiences. She has started her venture into the twos with a lot of grace.
Friday, January 13, 2012
Are you now questioning my ability to raise TWO children? I am. But it's going to be fun. Because behind this crazy hair moment was a fun trip to the swimming pool and a girl so sleepy she couldn't bare a bath before bed. And the result is a severely disheveled, but dare I say happy, gal. Eating cereal with her toes amidst strew blueberries...for that I have no excuse.
Monday, January 9, 2012
The Curtis Girls are really good at hanging out and it didn't take Lucy long to get into the swing of staying in pajamas and letting herself go a little bit.
Other Christmas highlights that were wonderful but sadly undocumented...
Minute to Win it with Grandma and Grandpa Wecker
Game after game of Settlers of Catan
Kelly's baby shower at the Union Grill
Lucy juxtaposed to sweet calm Tenzen
Hiking through barbed wire fence after barbed wire fence
Dinner with Mike's dear high school friends and their families
Precious time with Lisa
Lucy falling in love all over again with Scout
Grandma Curtis caving to Lucy's love and presents and letting her open something small each day
Lucy eating ALL of the centerpiece apples around the house